On the facts of violations during preparation and conduct of elections on Sunday, instituted 32 criminal cases, said the CEC Chairman, Ella Pamfilova. How serious is this figure and how severe the punishment deserve to be in conflict with the law the organizers of the election, we asked the head of the Russian public Institute of electoral law, former member of the CEC (from 2007 to 2011) Igor Borisov.
photo: Gennady Cherkasov
– Igor Borisovich, 32 criminal cases is a lot or a little?
– If you objectively look at things, it is minuscule in the whole campaign: in the organization of elections was attended by about a million people! In those Western so-called democracies, election irregularities much more. Including those that are subject to criminal prosecution. But, of course, these facts need to respond effectively. “Work” these disorders to minimize their number, approaching zero.
Five years ago, according to the results of parliamentary elections in 2011, was initiated 22 criminal cases more – 54. However, not any planted. And while nothing indicates that law enforcement practices have changed. And in your opinion, should it change?
– The question in this case is about deliberate gross violations to distort the will of the voters. However, each time the perpetrators get off either fines or probation. Of course, this practice needs to stop. If the state took over the purity of elections, should show the seriousness of his intentions.
– Had to hear another opinion: if you start to severely punish them for violations of the law, the next elections wishing to participate in the work of election commissions find to be quite difficult. If at all possible.
– Logical reasoning. So we say that we need to move in two directions. On the one hand should tighten the requirements to organizers of elections, on the other hand to encourage those who faithfully and fully perform the work within the framework of existing legislation. Of course, the current meager compensation did not meet the work of election Commission members working in the election period around the clock.
Elections to the State Duma 2016. Chronicle of events